Thursday, July 15, 2010

Process or Result

The Thought

With the world of Business and personal life obsessed with results, what values does processes hold.
Should one concentrate on the processes or the Results alone.

"I want results, where are the results, this is your result?" are some questions which we face everyday in our work space.With so much emphasis on the results, rarely do we realize the importance of process.
And this is not only the case in Offices but it begins right from school. The Result day is more important than every day, but parents most often forget that if they take care of days, Results will take care of themselves.

Processes are those tiny little details that one carry forwards each day.
A month back, a concerned mother was discussing with me about her child in 7th class. The worry started when the result was handed. He scored only 2 Zeros, ( that was the childs point of view) and mother's view was,
TWO ZEROS.
But the point which struck me was the way child took it.
He was not putting his head down,neither was he leaning across shying to show his face.
He was standing proud. This amazed me, hence I decided to take care of a one month long project of Qualitative as well as Quantitative research.
I asked the mother to just write down the daily routine of the kid and then asked took some indepth interviews of both Kid, the Mom and the Father ( 3 people in the Home).The result were astonishing.

1. His father always pushed him to fear nothing, his father an MBA grad, now doing great in his own business.
2. Mom is too careful about him, treated as the most lovable kid. Gets whatever he wants.
3. During Indepth Interview, the kid revealed
My Mom cannot do anything, she cant beat me, cant punish me, and dad is rarely at home.
I love games and hate studies.

What has actually happened is, the child has never been taught the importance of process.
He has been consistent in sports alone, and when it comes to studies, all he cares for is just appreaing at school.

We all need to train our children/subordinates/people around to give great emphasis on the Process, rather than being obsessed with results.
A recent example, one of my junior in college asked me " How did I managed to get the Gold Medal?"
I replied, " By never thinking about it".
She never felt satisfied, but I still say the same, Try improving yourself, improving your processes, and results will automatically take care of themselves.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

301 moved permanently

Fifth Angle

has been moved to new address

http://fifthangle.com

Sorry for inconvenience...